Minneapolis man held in Mall of America attack

Share

A 24-year-old Twin Cities man is being held by Bloomington police on suspicion of attempted homicide after he threw or pushed a 5-year-old boy from a third-floor balcony at the Mall of America on Friday morning, police said.

"At this time the suspect does not appear to be known to the victim or to the victim's family", the news release states.

He was also convicted of fifth-degree assault, trespassing and interfering with a police officer for an incident in October of 2015. "Oh my God, my baby, someone threw him over the edge, '" Brian Johnson told WCCO.

Investigators are working with mall officials to determine if there was video, Potts said.

"The child did suffer significant injuries", says Bloomington police chief Jeff Potts.

A portion of the mall on the first and third levels was cordoned off as police and the Hennepin County sheriff's office crime lab processed the scene.

Police believe this was an isolated incident and there is no danger to the public.

"Of course, our immediate concern is for the child", Potts said, adding the mother is with the child. The melee was caught on YouTube, but police concluded the brawl - the worst case of violence at the mall in more than 15 years - was not organized through social media as initially feared.

Witnesses told police that the 24-year-old suspect took off running immediately after pushing the child. Officers gave first aid but the 5-year-old child suffered "significant injuries" and had been taken to a hospital, Potts said. He said a thorough investigation will be conducted to find out the motive for the incident. The child was treated at the scene and transported to the hospital.

Court records show Aranda was arrested on July 4, 2015, after police said he matched the description of a man throwing things off the upper level of the Mall of America to the lower level.

Share