Toddler found dead on Surfers Paradise Beach on Gold Coast


The father of the baby girl found dead on a Surfers Paradise beach told police his daughter was "possessed by demons".

It is understood a person walking along the beach made the heartbreaking discovery, less than a kilometre from where Schoolies were celebrating.

"What happened to this little nine-month-old girl was an absolute tragedy", Mr Mander said.

Insp Hogan said they had been staying on the Gold Coast but did not say for how long.

"I said I couldn't".

The AAP quoted police sources as alleging the child's 23-year-old mother had admitted knowing about a planned "sacrifice", but that only the father would be accused of throwing her into the water.

The man's aunt, Paulette, said she did not believe her nephew would be capable of killing his baby.

"It is truly hoped this family has made contact with someone and found support, especially with the chilly nights we have been experiencing", the staff member wrote.

Two in custody after little girl's body found on beach

An emergency services source revealed: "They'd been living in a auto (at one stage)".

The baby's body is believed to have drifted around 30km in the current for two days before washing ashore at Surfers Paradise beach where she was found by passers-by around 12.30am on Monday.

A baby girl has allegedly been thrown into the ocean by her father in what distressed Australian police believe was a "sacrifice".

Schoolies kicked off on Saturday night with over 13,000 school leavers attending the event, with an expected 22,000 students set to visit Surfers Paradise over the next 3 weeks.

But police have ruled out any connection to the end of high school celebrations, and it wasn't a school leaver who found the child.

Overnight, police arrested nine schoolies on 11 offences which were mainly for public nuisance and drug possession. Six were issued with liquor infringements notices.

"Police continue to remind school leavers that the possession and consumption of unsafe drugs is illegal and could have fatal consequences", Queensland Police said in a statement.

A 26-year-old Annerley man has been charged with one count of attempted murder and is scheduled to appear in the Brisbane Magistrates Court today.