Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen said Thursday the us government will not open fire on a migrant caravan now heading north through Mexico, after news emerged that the Trump Administration was planning to send at least 800 troops to the southern border.
JOSE MENDEZ/EFE/Newscomweighing a plan to shut the USA border to Central Americans and deny them the opportunity to seek asylum, asserting similar emergency powers used during the early 2017 "travel ban", according to administration officials and people familiar with the proposal.
A wall of police in riot gear blocks the highway to stop a caravan of thousands of Central American migrants from advancing, outside Arriaga, Chiapas state, Mexico, Oct. 27, 2018.
The caravan still must travel 1,000 miles (1,600 kilometers) to reach the nearest USA border crossing at McAllen, Texas. Migrants countered that the middle of a highway was no place to negotiate and said they wanted to at least arrive safely to Mexico City to discuss the topic with authorities and Mexican lawmakers.
President Trump has vowed to take steps to prevent the migrants from crossing the U.S. border and has slammed Mexican authorities for failing to stop the caravan.
The Department of Homeland Security earlier reported that a large migrant caravan is moving towards the United States through Mexico.
"No, I just think we'd have to work through that".
Coverage of thousands of migrants bent on reaching the United States has drawn strong words from the president.
Some hurled insults at the man with the megaphone, then they attacked him, Medina said.
The caravan still has 1,000 miles to go if they go through the McAllen, Texas point of entry.
The Mexican president, Enrique Peña Nieto, said that migrants wishing to obtain temporary identification documents, jobs or education for their children could do so by registering for asylum in southern Mexico.
There's a possibility some members will split off and try to make their own way to the US-Mexico border.
Asked whether the administration was seeking to ban certain people from entering the country or sealing the southern border completely, Nielsen said "everything is on the table". Following the formation of the first group in San Pedro Sula, Honduras, several members of the caravan have travelled for more than two weeks.
The Franciscan Action Network also defended the group of migrants and called on the general public to "separate fact from fiction".
"This group is made up of entire families, as well as elderly people, pregnant women, children, adolescents and disabled", the ministry said.
"We are nervous, but happy, because - so many days waiting", said 22-year-old Maria Yuliza Soreque, whose turn came on Tuesday to enter the United States after she, her mother and two-year-old daughter had been in the city for five weeks.
Mexico's Interior Ministry said that temporary identity numbers have been issued to 111 migrants under the "You are home" program.