Westminster terror suspect named as Salih Khater


The Metropolitan Police said they are still working to clarify the movements of the suspect during the period of time he spent in the Tottenham Court Road area. Counter-terrorism police do not believe there is a risk of further attacks at this stage. That was one of four vehicle-based terror attacks in London in the past 18 months.

Neil Basu, Assistant Commissioner Specialist Operations at the Metropolitan Police, said that the incident "appears to be a deliberate attack" and officers from the Counter Terrorism Command are leading the investigation.

The assistant commissioner added there was "no intelligence at this time of further danger" to London or the United Kingdom as a whole.

- Two people have been injured. The suspect is being held in custody in south London, and is said to be not cooperating with police.

-Westminster Tube station has been closed.

Police are treating an attack outside Parliament as a terrorist incident after a auto hit pedestrians before crashing into a barrier.

The incident happened at 7.37 this morning, when a silver Ford Fiesta collided with a number of cyclists and pedestrians before crashing into barriers outside the Houses of Parliament.

The force said: "At 7.37am today, Tuesday, August 14, a vehicle was in collision with barriers outside the Houses of Parliament".

Before the incident it had driven around the streets at the heart of government for more than 90 minutes, police said.

The London Ambulance Service said it treated and transported two people to a hospital, and that neither had injuries that were life-threatening.

-Pedestrians and cyclists have been injured but the exact number is not yet known.

He added: "My heartfelt thanks goes to the fearless first responders who were so quickly on the scene following the attack".

"I couldn't see him doing anything stupid like that", said one neighbor, who only gave his name as Adam.

On March 22, 2017, an Islamic terrorist drove along the sidewalk of Westminster Bridge and plowed into pedestrians before crashing the vehicle and running into the Palace of Westminster, where he stabbed an unarmed police officer. He was shot dead at the scene.

The prime minister paid tribute to the "formidable courage" and professionalism of the emergency services who "ran towards a risky situation in order to protect the public".