Gennady Golovkin Uncertain if Canelo Alvarez September Rematch Will Happen

Share

The unbeaten Kazakh star can equal Bernard Hopkins' record of 20 successful defences of the middleweight crown on Saturday when he faces the Los Angeles-based Martirosyan at the StubHub Center.

"It was like being hit by a train", Martirosyan said after the fight. It was all of his punches. "That is the hardest puncher I have ever faced".

Last September, Golovkin and Alvarez fought to a draw, the first time in 37 pro bouts that Golovkin wasn't declared the victor.

The announced 7,837 in attendance were thrilled by the return of Golovkin's knockout power. Obviously, we know that [Martirosyan] has a very good right hand.

"It was an fantastic first women's fight on HBO, and we should do a rematch, for sure".

That'll sting more than any head-shot and he'll be made to feel angrier still by the fact it wasn't even Saul's first offence, yet he still couldn't come up with a decent excuse before being banned for a laughable six months.

As a result, Golovkin was forced to find an opponent on short notice and Martirosyan was the only one that a majority of the sanctioning bodies were willing to accept.

Just a few weeks before he got the fight, Martirosyan said he asked his wife who her favorite boxer was beside him.

Thursday, Yahoo! Sports reported that Golovkin was only "10%" certain that he'll rematch Alvarez. "I have lots of belts. In the second round, I came out all business, after I felt him out in the first round". I don't care who it is. "Let's clean out the division".

Golden Boy Promotions president Eric Gomez notably claimed discussions over the rematch would be planned after the Martirosyan fight.

"There were names that we went through, and I have to say I can't compliment Vanes and his team enough for had he not signed the contract in two or three days HBO would have said 'this is too late for us to effectively promote and market a fight on HBO, '" Loeffler said. While it was easy to take the initial reports that the Kazakhstani champion would still fight on May 5th with a grain of salt, additional information seemed to make it clear that he was dead serious.

Golovkin viciously assaulted Martirosyan and knocked him out in the second round of a scheduled 12-round middleweight title fight that was every bit as easy for him as the lopsided odds suggested it would be. We are looking for the elite fighter that Vanes is but we are going to take it to him, and if he comes forward the fans are going to be treated to a great fight. I was among a vocal contingent that firmly believed it was all smoke and mirrors and the show would go on, that the NAC would follow a long established protocol and look the other way while cashing a massive check. The 36-year-old Golovkin had been due to battle Alvarez in Las Vegas this weekend, in what was likely to be one of the highlights of the 2018 boxing calendar. And if GGG wins, he'll tie a division record with his 20th win in a row.

Share