London Terror Scare Could Be Because Two Men Had an Argument


The London Ambulance Service said it treated several patients who had sustained injuries while leaving the Oxford Circus area. Eight additional people were taken to two hospitals for treatment of minor injuries, and another patient was sent to a trauma center for leg injuries.

Scotland Yard initially treated the incident as if it was terror-related - but the incident has now been stood down after no evidence of gunfire was found.

Mattias Nilsson, 45, said he was in town with friends for a Premier League soccer match and was near the station when he heard people shouting, "Shooting!"

"To date police have not located any trace of any suspects, evidence of shots fired or causalities", police said an hour after the first reports of an incident. The area was searched swiftly and the station was reopened.

British Transport Police said there was "a significant level of panic", adding that it was "examining the circumstances of the incident which resulted in the station being evacuated".

Sixteen people were injured fleeing the Oxford Circus London Underground station Friday night, after reports of gunshots.

People in the area were instructed to take cover in nearby buildings.

"Police were called at 16:38 a number of reports of shots fired on Oxford Street and underground at Oxford Circus tube station", the Metropolitan Police said in a statement.

Early Saturday, the British Transport Police (BTP) released images of two men they'd like to speak to in relation to an altercation that took place in the station before the scare. Everybody turned round in sort of pandemonium and started trying to exit the Tube as quickly as possible. A British pop singer, Ollie Murs, tweeted that he was in Selfridges and that shots had been fired there.

She continued: "And then all of a sudden we just saw a flood of people just running". "It is vital that we are not complacent ― if in doubt it is always best to err on the side of caution and call the police on 999".

Chief Superintendent Martin Fry said: "I would like to thank the public and the media for assisting us with this witness appeal".