Tube attack probe deepens, terror threat lowered

Share

British authorities are still searching areas around London Monday related to last week's terrorist bombing at a crowded subway station.

A senior British minister has renewed criticism of U.S. President Donald Trump for tweeting about the police inquiry into the bombing of a subway train in London. He is 21 and was arrested late Saturday in Hounslow in west London under the Terrorism Act.

A 25-year-old man was arrested on Tuesday in the Welsh city of Newport, becoming the third suspect to be arrested in connection with the Friday explosion at a subway station in west London, British police said.

The older suspect was named as Yahyah Farroukh, a native of Syria - and the younger suspect, who's not yet been identified, moved to Britain from Iraq at age 15 after his parents died.

Queen Elizabeth II awarded the couple for their services to children in 2010.

When asked if her comments could be construed as a message to the president to stop tweeting, Rudd responded, "I don't think I'd be the first person to say that, would I?"

London police began to search the home of a second refuge foster child on Sunday night as part of the terror probe following the Friday blast, caused by the explosive device which partially detonated.

The threat level in the United Kingdom was raised to critical immediately after the attack, meaning another attack was "expected imminently", but it was lowered to severe on Sunday.

The Islamic State group has claimed responsibility, but British officials say there is no proof yet that it was involved. Images posted on social media following the attack appeared to show wires protruding from a flaming bucket contained in a Lidl bag on the floor of the train carriage.

On Sunday, Britain's home secretary Amber Rudd said the recent development in the investigation suggested the attacker was not a "lone wolf".

Previous attacks in London this year at Westminster Bridge, London Bridge and Finsbury Park as well as a blast at an Ariana Grande concert in Manchester killed dozens of people and injured more than 150.

Share