Yasin Malik arrested, sent to Srinagar central jail


Meanwhile NIA also raided the residence of Hurriyat-G General Secretary Ghulam Nabi Sumji at Bijbehara in South Kashmir.

"These villainous acts by the government would not break the spirit of the freedom loving people of Kashmir", Yasin Malik said before he was arrested from a party office in the city's Abi Gujar area.

The Enforcement Directorate is likely to register a money laundering case against some separatist leaders facing investigation by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) under charges of receiving terror funding from across the border to stoke unrest in Jammu and Kashmir, officials said on Thursday. The J&K police and the CRPF have laid siege around these locations to facilitate smooth raids, the official sources said.

They said the Mirwaiz was placed under house arrest to prevent the separatist leaders from going to Delhi tomorrow. The seized documents reportedly contain details of Watali's financial transactions which can significantly strengthen NIA's case against Watali.

Three top Kashmiri separatist leaders Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Yasin Malik had threatened to stage a sit-in outside the NIA headquarters in Delhi on September 9 and court arrest to protest against, what they termed as, "vilification" of Kashmiri people by the investigation agency. The house of another of Mr. Shah's associates, Choudhary Razak, in Jammu was also searched.

Mr. Malik was shifted to the Central Jail, Srinagar. DG NIA Sharad Kumar had told reporters, "The raids have been carried out in several places in Delhi, Srinagar and Gurugram in connection with terror funding".

On Wednesday, the agency had raided 24 places in Kashmir Valley and in Delhi focusing mainly on traders, who allegedly have links with the terror funding case under probe by the NIA.

On Wednesday, two men, including a freelance photo-journalist, arrested yesterday for alleged stone-pelting in Kashmir Valley and mobilising support against security personnel through the social media, were on Wednesday sent to 10-day NIA custody for interrogation.