Driver injures three during protest over shot transgender woman in St. Louis


The protesters were marching for Kiwi Herring, a transgender woman shot dead by police on Tuesday, according to FOX2. Police say a group of protesters coming from the Transgender Memorial Garden were blocking traffic in all directions when a driver approached.

The protesters then surrounded his auto, slammed on it with their hands, and hit the vehicle with a flag pole, according to Jackson.

But a police spokesperson said, in the newspaper's words, that the driver "stopped, honked and attempted to drive around the protesters before some of them surrounded his vehicle and began hitting it with their hands and a flag pole". Marchers Elizabeth Gombos and Keith Rose, however, told the paper the driver had his middle fingers raised and accelerated into the crowd. He stopped about a block away from the incident and was taken into custody for felony fleeing.

Herring was shot and killed by police officers who were responding to a stabbing in the city on Tuesday morning. They discovered a 30-year-old man who was cut on his arms, torso and face.

When officers tried to arrest the suspect, also 30, the suspect stabbed one of the officers with a large kitchen knife, police said.

In an official statement, however, police gave a different version of the events.

As the driver moved off three protesters "fell from the vehicle" sustaining minor injuries, cops added.

Police added that they had to chase down the driver of the auto because they tried to flee the scene after the altercation. Two women and a man sustained minor injuries.

Activist Heather De Mian said Thursday that after the vigil, 40 to 50 people marched to an intersection and blocked it to protest Herring's death. This sparked furious outcry within the St. Louis community. The injured officer was taken to a hospital, where he was treated and released. This tweeted image shows one person on the hood of the vehicle at one point, along with a woman directly in front of the auto with her hands on the hood.

"It may have been the police that put the bullet in her but let me tell you right now it was a combination of all those things that broke her down."
But Herring's friends and family say Herring and her partner felt threatened by neighbors and was not threatening police with the knife.