Charlie Gard's parents seek court permission to bring son home to die


Charlie Gard's parents want to bring their son home from hospital to die. The High Court in London was now set to decide exactly how the baby would die.

A hospice was considered the best option by the court. Even then, as MRC reported, when a judge revisited Charlie's case, the networks spent more time on a picture of Beyoncé's twins than on the British infant.

Mr Justice Francis began analysing the dispute at a hearing in the Family Division of the High Court and said he would make a decision if agreement could not be reached.

Mr Armstrong told the court: "We return to the court for perhaps the most hard, emotional part of this case - the circumstances in which Charlie's passing will be conducted".

Great Ormond Street bosses wanted Charlie to stay at a hospice for a shorter period.

The family later put a message on Facebook appealing for a paediatric intensive care consultant to come forward before 12pm on Thursday.

Connie Yates and Chris Gard said all they want now is to take their child home so his life can end peacefully.

But their lawyer today said that they have now accepted that he can be taken to a hospice for his last days.

Charlie's mother, Connie Yates, appeared in court alongside Grant Armstrong, a family lawyer, who explained the family's last wishes for their son to a judge in Britain's High Court.

He said: As I disclosed in court on 13 July, I have relinquished and have no financial interest in the treatment being developed for Charlie's condition.

The hospital says in a statement that it's not in a position to know what might have happened six months ago and that it can not know if Charlie would have responded to the experimental therapy.

There have also been small protests by supporters of Charlie's parents - a group calling itself "Charlie's Army" - outside Buckingham Palace and Downing Street calling for the hospital to listen to the parents. He issued an order barring publication of the name of the hospice and the date when Charlie is taken there.

"Unless by 12pm tomorrow the parents and guardian and Great Ormond Street hospital can agree alternative arrangements, Charlie will be transferred to a hospice and extubated shortly thereafter", he said. She said the stumbling block was the need for invasive ventilation, with air forced into Charlie's lungs.

She said medics wanted to avoid hazards or mishaps and wanted to ensure Charlie was safe.

Doctors at Great Ormond Street said the therapy would not help.

On Monday, the Vatican said Pope Francis was praying for Charlie and his parents, and urged the faithful to join him in prayer so that the baby's parents "may find God's consolation and love".

Questions remain about whether Charlie could have benefited from the experimental treatment, had it not been delayed for months during the legal battle between Charlie's parents and the hospital.

But it appears they have now accepted the fact that a hospice would be in Charlie's best interests for his final days. Based on new evidence, the couple said Charlie's condition has deteriorated too much and there no longer is any hope of the treatment working.