Palestinian leader halts security co-operation with Israel


On Sunday night, People in Jordan amassed in front of the Israeli embassy in Amman and condemned the regime's restrictive measures in the occupied Old City of Jerusalem (al-Quds).

Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas said Friday he was freezing contacts with Israel over new security measures at a highly sensitive Jerusalem holy site, after deadly clashes erupted earlier in the day.

Sweden, France and Egypt, on Saturday, asked the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) to meet regarding tensions surrounding Jerusalem's Al-Aqsa Mosque.

An Israeli newspaper reported that the Saudi King Salman had asked the USA administration to put pressure on Israel in order to open the gates of Al-Aqsa Mosque.

The demonstration on Saturday was organized by the Palestinian Forum in Britain, who said they sought to attract attention to Israel's aggression in Jerusalem.

Israel is willing to consider alternatives to the controversial metal detectors it installed at the holy site, a senior official said.

On Friday evening, a Palestinian identified as Omar al-Abed jumped over the fence of the Israeli settlement of Halamish in the West Bank and entered a home, surprising a family during their Sabbath dinner.

The envoys of the four "strongly condemn acts of terror, express their regret for all loss of innocent life caused by the violence, and hope for a speedy recovery to the wounded", the Quartet said in a joint statement.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas suspended all contacts between the Palestinian Authority and the Israeli government Friday in protest of the metal detectors.

Israeli officials signaled they might be open to changing the measures at the Haram al-Sharif Mosque compound, known to Jews as the Temple Mount, after the installation of metal detectors at entrances following an attack that killed two policemen stoked Palestinian anger.

Security tensions are at a pitch fever in the Jerusalem, Old City region after two Druze Israeli police officers were shot and killed by 3 Palestinians who obtained weapons from the Temple Mount.

In a post on Facebook, the stabber said he was deeply concerned about the recent violence at the Al-Aqsa Mosque in annexed East Jerusalem and wanted to protect it.

"The security situation is quiet, but it is very complex and volatile, and things can develop very quickly", he added, referring to Gaza.