Unprecedented clampdown on Burhan Anniversary


The Jammu and Kashmir government has heightened security across the state ahead of former Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani's first death anniversary on July 8.

Adviser to the Prime Minister for Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz Saturday said the martyrdom of Burhan Muzafar Wani past year had infused a new spirit in the Kashmir freedom movement as people of the held valley were on streets facing worst Indian troops atrocities.

Pervaiz Ahmed Sheikh expressed resentment over the implementation of GST in J&K and stated that Mehbooba Mufti regime had become an agent of RSS whose live example was implementation of GST in the territory. Wani used social media to create a heroic image to influence the Kashmiri youth, as their peaceless life made them unable to think or understand reality in its real sense.

Militant leader Burhan Wani was killed a year ago on July 8 by security forces.

He said during the last one year "the way Kashmiri people braved the imposition of curfew, faced inhuman measures by the occupation forces, underwent state injustices, attended funerals of their martyrs and kept their banner of freedom high, is unprecedented in the current global history". The protests continued for more than three months which led to the deaths of around 100 civilians and left several others injured. They were thwarted back by police and paramilitaries by use of tear smoke shells and firing pellets.

"Police have already detained hundreds of workers of separatist organizations and seized more than 500 bikes to thwart any attempt by the Hurriyat to mobilize people on July 8", they said.

Also mobile internet services including BSNL broadband were suspended across valley in view of the militant commander's anniversary.

Curfew was imposed in areas under the jurisdiction of five police stations - Rainawari, Khanyar, Nowhatta, M.R. Gunj and Safa Kadal - in old city Srinagar.

They added Kashmir is the jugular vein of Pakistan and one day it would become part of the country.

There was complete shutdown across the Valley as shops, other businesses and public transport remained shut.

While Indian authorities in Kashmir labelled him an extremist, his supporters called him a rebel leader.

Clashes erupted in parts of Srinagar, Tral and Shopian with people throwing stones at the security forces.